MIZORAM TELEOPHTHALMOLOGY PROJECT
What is the project?
Provision of eye equipment along with computers, connectivity and ancillary telemedicine facilities at fixed centres at block and sub block level. These are run by specially trained Ophthalmic assistants with connectivity to Ophthalmic Surgeons. The system provides
- a. An effective system for eye care
- b. Cost effective & efficient delivery of eye care services
- c. Easy access to eye care services
- c. Focus on Health care and sensitization about eye care among rural citizens
Project operations and components
- The key resource is the link worker who maps the villages under each block and encourages citizens to visit the centers
- The Ophthalmic Assistant (OA) uploads data into the database.
- The doctor creates a prescription and instructs the OA on the next steps
- Based on the findings, the doctor can then advise on how to provide treatment whether locally or at the secondary or tertiary hospital
- Patient undergoes treatment and the patient database is updated.
- These centres also provide spectacles; prescription medicines and routine follow up.
- Operating Doctor is regularly updated on the progress
- Data can be reviewed for audit.
Unlike previous projects, SATHI will own the project for three years. We are also attempting to introduce other telehealth, general health as well as IT components as a value addition. This will put the installed systems and training to better use and help to make it sustainable.